Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a humidor counter which I have learned is from the

Customer Question

I have a humidor counter which I have learned is from the golden oak period. Approximately 6'x6' with a curved glass front. I has two places under the display area where the humidifiers were located. It also has a marble base that has three pieces, two for each straight side and one curved in the front. The local historical society tells me that it came from a cigar shop in Hot Springs, AR during the gambling days.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.

Humidor Display Counter, has an estimated retail ( Book Value , Insurance replacement ) of $3***-**-****.00 The price they would sell for in an Antique shop, or high end Antique Website would be -$3***-**-****.00 and higher depending where it is located. Auction values on places such as Ebay on today's market they are only bringing an average of $1***-**-****.00 depending on who bids on it. That does not mean you cannot ask whatever you would like for this, there is no set rule that says you have to sell for auction price or even the retail value. Items are sold all the time for much more then they are worth and sadly at times for much less then they are worth. If it were mine and I was selling it, I would list this for $3***-**-****.00 and see how it does. If it did not sell then I would hang onto it for a bit and try again. Selling always depends on the right person coming along and wanting what you have.. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.

.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars
( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
.
Please keep in mind if another expert answers behind me and you are happy with my answer, please make sure to click the rating for me! It may appear confusing since their answer would come in to your email after mine does.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Glenda, I have been researching all the sites you described above and talked with one of the largest antique furniture dealers here in Arkansas (he does specialize in European furniture) and have not seen one resembling this. Have you a place where there are comparable ones?

Hello

I am familiar with them, I have seen these sell in New Orleans , Savannah Georgia and also in Charleston South Carolina. I have also seen similar ones to these sell in the higher end auctions such as Hindman Chicago, Heritage, Bonhmans and others.

I cannot supply you with a direct link to a sold one. I have been in the business for over 45 years and have bought and sold that long. The area these were most prevalent in were in the south, in the Georgia, South Carolina area. A lot of old stores down there were renovated over time, and a lot of people purchased these counters, many were antique dealers who used them as display cabinets. A dealer I had in my shop when I had it, had a small one he picked up at an auction in New Orleans one year.

.

I sorry I cannot give a comparable, because as of this morning there is nothing on the internet that listed similar to yours. That could change tomorrow, google and such update their servers, and ad pages every night, so what is there today will more then likely not be there tomorrow. Also people who have antique pages normally update daily also.

The sites I gave you were suggestion of where to sell not to find this. I would not sell this online. I would decide what I wanted for it and then sell it for that amount.

You might contact Morris's in Keo they might have one like you have. They can give you and idea of what they can get for one of these in Arkansas.

Glenda