Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

An antique Elgin gold pocket watch serial number 3512857 :

Customer Question

An antique Elgin gold pocket watch serial number(###) ###-####
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Bought it at an auction for 200. It has a lid that you have to open to see the face. There was a design on the back all but the edges has been rubbed off. I found the years that they made the watch with the serial number the years it was made was 1886 to 1898
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No. That's all I have other than it still runs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising pocket watch for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. Is the serial number that you provided on the watch case or the movement aka works?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is on the case lid
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

If you could open the back and tell me the number on the movement, this is the serial number that actually dates the watch. Case numbers are not reliable on most pocket watches as watch case companies made cases for several watch companies.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no idea how to open the back
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

If you have pen knife you can pry it open or you can take it to jeweler and they can open it.

Thanks,