Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

This is a Bothamley Boston case grandfather clock I

Customer Question

This is a Bothamley Boston long case grandfather clock I purchased in London England. While it did work for a time and presented a beautiful chime, at this time it does not work, has a crack in the back of the case and is missing the top of the top of the center finial. The front of the cabinet has one small mark. The face is in it's original condition. It is a beautiful clock. I do need to sell it. I may sell it to the clockmaker that kept it in storage for a year. Can you tell me it's approximate value? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 5 months ago.

Hi Jill,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

This is so sad! A clock that doesn't work has very little value, because your prospective buyer doesn't know what it will cost to fix. They say in real estate that the top three criteria regarding value are location, location, location. With antiques, it's condition, condition, condition.

I'm afraid that your lock's condition has rendered it of very low value. On the retail market, you could expect to get $50 - $100 dollars for it. Perhaps your clockmaker might offer you a few dollars more because he has the ability to increase its value.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Jill.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Jill,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.