rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a courtney curran art piece Woman On The Top Of A

Customer Question

I have a charles courtney curran art piece Woman On The Top Of A Mountain
Many unknown things are still in question about what I own.
Original or copy? if copy how many print run(s)? printer? print medium? era?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You have a color lithograph print copy of the 1912 painting by Charles Courtney Curran entitled Woman on the Top of a Mountain.

From the style of the lithograph print, this was published circa 1920. It is not a signed and numbered limited edition print executed by the hand of the artist, but instead it is a mass produced image printed by a publisher.

Numerous publishers throughout the US had access to this image, and without a publisher name in small print at the bottom left or right corner, which company printed yours cannot be definitively stated; though it was likely a Chicago or NYC lithograph company. Again, since it is not a numbered limited edition, how many printed is not known, for the period. It can be presumed that several thousand were at least produced to distribute for sale through decorator and framing shops at that time.

Value would depend on size and if you have the original frame; the range would be $15 - $100.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you for an answer. so far I have the only known copy of this piece and yes it came from the 20's my relative designed it's frame
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome. What is the size of your print and do you have a photo of the frame. In terms of only known copy, may I know your reference point for that statement?

Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

If you have the original painting, it dates to the early 20th century (1920)

and is worth $20,000 to $62,000 based on recent sales of his work in this figurative genre.

The highest price paid for one of his large works being $222,500.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.