Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I need advice on a painting I received. how would I go about

Customer Question

I need advice on a painting I received. how would I go about finding someone that will give a accurate appraisal?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Please tell me if your painting is signed?

I need to know the size, not including the frame. Do not remove from the frame.

I also need to know the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.

Kind regards,

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good Morning,
The painting appears to be 10x12. I'm not sure of the medium. it's not thick like oil but does not look like a water color. it actually has 2 frames-one frame sits on the painting and then there is a frame around the frame. The back of the painting is a thin piece of wood. the back of the painting shows quite a bit of patina.
I cannot see a signature.
Thank you for your time!
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

This is a framed circa 1870 -1890 color lithograph print and not an original painting. Color litho prints were printed in multiples by publishers and were intended as decorative wall art. An original painting is one of a kind (and at the level of detail in the image, would be larger than 10" x12"). On today's market, this could sell for a high average of $40 - $60. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $100.

You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Another tried to answer your question before I could read your response. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

I was busy away from my computer for a while this morning.

Thank you for your additional information and patience.

While your piece is a well-done late 19thC framed color lithograph of the size you describe, it is not numbered so it is not part of a limited other words, there were not just a certain number of these made.

From my experience and research of lithographs like yours, I was able to determine an estimated retail price of $125-140.

Usually, insurance replacement value is 20% more than the estimated retail price.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.