Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have an original watercolor from Halbach. I believe it is

Customer Question

I have an original watercolor from David Halbach. I believe it is from around late 60's-early 70's. It is in original frame and has a note on the back he wrote to my grandfather. Internet searches show he is well known for western landscapes with horses etc, and retail paintings ranging from 2500-9500 on low end - eBay and high end auction sites.
What is best steps to figure out how to sell it and what it is worth? It is nice but not something I would hang in our house.
My painting is a scene with fishing boats and a pier.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Please tell me the size of your painting not including the frame. Do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Approximately 22 x 27 showing through glass

Thank you for the size.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist.
When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

My research indicates the average retail price of David Halbach paintings is $14.5959 per square inch.

Your 22 x 27" painting should be priced at $8670.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:
I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

There is a vast difference in value of an oil painting versus a watercolor versus a pencil drawing and those are factors that really must be taken into consideration when assessing the sale value of a work of art by an artist. That said, not all values per inch are equal since not all mediums are equal on the collector market. Furthermore, values are also based on subject. Halbach is most well-known for 'Cowboy and Indian' genre paintings. In the art world, collectors pay a higher premium for paintings by him with Cowboys and Indians from the Plains and the Southwest than paintings of another subject. Realistically, a marina or boat watercolor scene without people depicted and not set in the Southwest would carry an auction estimate of $800 - $1200 on today's market.

If interested in selling, I can also provide a list of auction houses who you can reach out to for consignment for sale.

You can ask any price you please on any item you own, the key factor being finding a buyer at your pricepoint. Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.