Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a statue, some kind of plaster, that is broken. But I

Customer Question

I have a statue, some kind of plaster, that is broken. But I have a picture of it whole. Am trying to figure out if it's worth getting put back together, which would be very expensive.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The photo was too small for me to see.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is this better? What can you tell me about the statue. It seems to be of some kind of plaster, with what looks like cord inside.

The picture is still tiny.

This looks to be an art deco chalkware sculpture form the 1930-40's. Chalkware is a combination of gypsum and plaster, then painted.

This type of ware was made by many companies in the US during this time. The problem with chalkware is that it does chip and break easily.

The statue has a value of $100 to $150.00 and I am sure it would cost more to fix it than that.

I think that gives you a better direction to go in whether to invest in fixing the piece.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wow. I really thought it was worth more than that. Can you tell it's about 3 feet tall? May I submit more pictures of the broken pieces?here's a picture of a stamp on it.

That was all I could tell from the tiny photo taken from so far away.

This mark is hard to read. Would it be possible to do a rubbing of the mark to get a better idea of what it reads?

That would shed more light on the artist and would get me closer on value. Also add pics of the broken pieces, yes.

That will really help a lot.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

This is an Art Nouveau era statue and appears to be dated 1903. It is likely French and is based on the woman, Loie Fuller, who was famous for dancing and using long ethereal flowing robes during her stage movement. Her dance and style became very popular and was emulated in sculpture and paintings by many artists during that period. Here is a link for you to a history of Fuller:

In intact condition, this statue with metallized surface patina (a treatment to give it a bronze appearance) could have sold for $1500 - $2000. If repaired well, the value would no longer reach that high because it is not in original condition anymore.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.