LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher

I have a large Russian icon with an oklad with enamel. How

Customer Question

I have a large Russian icon with an oklad with enamel. How can I clean it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser. i would be happy to help you. Please allow me to review your icon and post back here promptly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

Beautiful piece you have.

Here are some guide lines to follow with antique icons:

Caring for antique icons is a simple and straightforward process. Following the basic guidelines will assure that your icon is always kept in optimum condition and properly preserved.

Place or hang icons away from heaters, radiators, bright or heat lamps or direct sunlight. Do not place icons in your kitchen or bathroom.

It is recommended but not necessary to keep icon in cus***** *****en case with glass front called kiot which better protects it from dust, light and humidity changes.

Avoid extremes or sharp changes in room’s temperature and humidity because they could lead to cracks, separation of paint layer, gesso and wood. The optimal temperature for icons is 60-72 F (15C-22C), Humidity 50%-60%.

Do not store icons in a room where walls or furniture are infected by the wood-boring beetle. If the icon already has beetle holes visible on the back of the board - consider consulting a professional icon or furniture restorer. Wood-boring beetles can turn icons’ wood into dust in just 1-2 years.

Gently dust icons without using any chemicals or cleaning products. Wipe the dust with dry, soft cloth or even better with wide brush made of natural squirrel hair (can be found in Art Supply stores). In an extreme case, if the icon is very dirty, lightly moist with a mild solution of soap diluted in warm water. Never clean icon’s cover with detergents or cleaning chemicals, because they might get through the slots on faces and hands, which will adversely effect the integrity of the icon’s painted surface.

Do not drive nails, cover painted surface of the icon in any type of lacquers or rub it with oil or wax.

If you see cracks on the icon or major loss of the painted surface - call professional restoration experts. Do not try to restore the icon on your own because you can cause an irreparable damage. Restorer will examine the icon and propose the restoration which will be best for your particular icon.

On metal icons do not use any metal polish as this will ruin the enameling or paint on the front.

Never polish the metal as you wish to keep the authentic patina and blessings to the piece.

What it comes down to is: take a soft brush and dust it weekly to keep the layers of dust off the icon, never use harsh chemicals or liquids on the piece. Keep it out of sunlight and away from high humidity and heat.

Your icon looks to be in wonderful condition and the enameling is perfect. Most commonly you see the wooden icons. I have several all different sizes and types. The metal icons are harder to find and just important to keep the piece safe and clean and well maintained.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.