Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

Artist A. F. Bellows. Name of painting/print, Old Mill

Customer Question

Artist A. F. Bellows. Name of painting/print, Old Mill Stream
In margin at bottom left side -A F Bellows NA- at center "Entered According to Act of Congress in the year 1863 by W M TATE & Co in the office of the Librarian of Congress Washington DC". Size-26" and one half x 19" and one half.
May I have an appraisal?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You have an 1863 print reproduction of the painting Old Mill Stream that was by Albert Fitch Bellows (1829-1883). The Bellows painting was re-created essentially as a chine-colle print by James Duthie and then it was published by the printers WM Pate & Co of NY (note not Tate).

Here is a link for you to one currently being offered for $950 at The Old Print Shop in NYC (I used to live next door to this shop):

In 2006, before the Recession in 2008, the retail value of this print was $1800. Here is a link for you to one that was offered with that retail mentioned in the catalogue sale. At auction it had an estimate of $300 - $400 and sold for $150.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records. You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, the key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.