LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a set of 12 French Revolution playing cards. The

Customer Question

I have a set of 12 French Revolution playing cards. The cards depict the replacement for the King, Queen and Jack. They are in excellent shape. They have been under glass laying on velvet for many years.Tom Bolze, Catalog Librarian, Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Yale University was able to find enough research to determine they are from the 1790's. I am wondering, how do you find out what they are worth and where would you go to sell something like this? No one has been able to find an exact match to my cards.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to research this and post back today for you beautiful cards and excellent condition. I look forward to helping you on these. There are auctions that handle the sale and that would be your way of selling as you will want the greatest coverage of people and the widest range around the world. I will list some for you in my reply.

http://houseofplayingcards.com/playing-card-history

the above link talks about the history of playing cards..........

To sell these cards I would suggest :

Sothebys Auction House

http://www.sothebys.com/en/buysell/overview.html

The French also established today’s court ranking of king, queen, and valet or knave. Originally, the king was the top-ranking card, though games began giving the highest status to the ace by the 17th century. In 1565, Frenchman Pierre Marechal illustrated the set of reversible court cards with intricate designs showing figures turning to the side and holding weaponry, scepters, and flowers. This imagery would later be copied by most British and American manufacturers, and evolved into the standard characters seen on face cards today.

These early playing cards were hand-painted, often with gilt detailing, and designed to be beautiful objects. Meant for gambling as well as playing games of skill, they also typically incorporated symbols or mnemonics to represent knowledge ranging from botany to heraldry, cosmology to geography.

During the 1700s, Edmond Hoyle got his start by tutoring affluent players in the art of “Whisk,” the most popular card game in England at the time. Hoyle printed a manuscript on the game and his personal strategies, which was copyrighted and published as a book in 1742. Soon Hoyle was the top name in cards, and even after his death in 1769, all manner of rule books and playing card decks were printed with his name in the title.

After reviewing several sites these cards hold a rough value of $5000.00 or more. The condition quality and under glass make these highly collectible as they are rare to find in such good condition.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.