Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

My mother in law is curious about a bowl/vase her mother

Customer Question

My mother in law is curious about a bowl/vase her mother left her, it says made in Finland, it has a mark in addition to the number 10, the mark reminds me of the out line of a simple tower or milk bottle and has an A with two more A's side by side under the first A.
as close as I can get. the bowl is a swirled mixture of brown tan and blue white, in no particular pattern. Can you tell us anything about it? Her mother obtain it as a gift as a young girl it pass to Mom on her mothers death, Mom is 92 years old herself.
Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. You did not mention if it is porcelain, pottery or metal (silver).
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These are photos of a photo, sorry, the silver pot in the background is a10 cup coffee maker. hopefully that will give you an idea of the size, i think there was masking tape on the bottom of at at one time, as there appears to be old adhesive on the bottom where the markings are.
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the first picture is of the bottom of the piece where the markings are. the second is of it sitting upright on the buffet in front of the coffee pot.

This is a pottery vase made by Arabia Pottery of Finland.

They had several marks over the years, this one being the mark that

dates the vase to 1928-1932. This vase has a current value of $60 to $75.00 retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You have an Art Deco era vase by the Finnish pottery firm named Arabia. They were founded in Helsinki, Finland in 1873 on a contract from the Swdish company, Rorstrand. Yours is done in their "Marble Luster" line that was produced for a short period. The mark on your piece is known as the AAA mark which was used from 1928 - 1932. The number is ***** in-house inventory or catalogue number that refers to the mold shape.

For your reference, here is a link for you of the various marks and their years:

Here is a link for you to the Arabia site which has history and information on the company:

Your vase can sell at auction for up to $300, and the retail sale price can be higher.

Here is a link for you to one that sold for $300 at auction:

This one sold for $129.95 at auction:

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.