Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Was just given a set of Brothers storic America red dishware

Customer Question

Was just given a set of Johnson Brothers Historic America red dishware set which includes the following: 12 dinner plates
8 cups with 8 saucers
8 soup bowls
8 luncheon plates
12 dessert plates
1 soup tureen with lid
1 gravy boat
1 vegetable bowl
1 butter plate?
1 small platter
1 large meat platter
3 dual sided egg cups
All are in excellent condition - no chips or fading. Belonged to mother who passed away in 1987 and were seldom used by her. What is your estimate of what this set is worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within 20 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

My research of Johnson Bros Historic America china indicates your set as described has an estimated retail value of $1800-1900 assuming good condition.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:

In UK:

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Amazon Marketplace:

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

How to pack and send china:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,