Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I inherited a Louise (Silverplate, Holloware) teapot, coffee

Customer Question

I inherited a Marie Louise (Silverplate, Holloware) teapot, coffee pot, creamer and sugar set. It is Noted as Wilcox SF Company EPNS International N1986. What might the value be and where might you suggest I sell it? Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I will return ASAP.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

My research indicates that your 4 piece set of plated silver, Marie Louise, is in the lovely late 18thC style of the George III even though it actually dates first half of the 20thC.

It has an estimated value of $400-500 assuming good condition.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You have a vintage silverplated tea set in the Marie Louise French style pattern that was produced by International Silver which owned Wilcox. EPNS stands for Electro-Plated Nickel Silver. Plated silver does not have a precious metal melt down value like sterling silver. The letter/number series N1986 is part of the pattern and mold shape name as well.

Realistically, on today's market a plated 4-piece tea set could sell for a high of $150 - $225 on today's auction market. You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, the key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.