AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.

I have a german tapestry that was taken from Adolf mmlers

Customer Question

I have a german tapestry that was taken from Adolf himmlers home during wwii
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is a very interesting Third Reich tapestry.

Can you document it was removed from Himmler's home (apart from family word of mouth)? I need to figure out if that attribution can be used in valuing it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't other than word of my grandfather who aquired it

Thanks. Without a photo of it in place, or something else that proves its provenance, there is no way to use that attribution. Family stories are so often wrong, or change over the years--it's not considered a reliable source.

An SS Wandebehang, or tapestry, was an old folk art that was revived during the SS era to keep "pure" German heritage alive. These mimicked the designs used for generations by farmers. Traditionally, the SS family would keep these in a corner with a Yule chest, SS family book, and other SS memorabilia. Here are some links and articles:

Yours incorporates a number of images quite nicely--the German Eagle, ships, sun, moon, family, farming, and mythological creatures.

The value would be in the range of $3,500.00 - $4,500.00.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was mistaken we do have images of the home it was removed from and my grandads service record documented
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We do have images of the home and my grsndads service record

So you have images of Himmler's home with the tapestry in it? (The service record won't help.)