Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

What is the story behind table spoons marked PRUSSIAN silver

Customer Question

what is the history behind table spoons marked PRUSSIAN silver
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to review the history and post here for you to have.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

The English firm of Deykin & Sons was established in 1854 in Birmingham, UK.

They made electroplated silver and used the trade name PRUSSIAN SILVER.

The firm was succeeded by Deykin & Harrison in 1895.

Your plated silver tablespoons date mid to late 19thC and have an estimated retail value of $35-50 each.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Flatware marked Prussian Silver was made by the English firm of Deykin & Sons of Birmingham. They were produced in the second half of the 19th century, or 1854 - 1895. "Prussian Silver" was their proprietary name for their line of silverplated wares. Realistically, these sell for $5- $10 per flatware piece on today's auction market.

Here is a link for you to a Deykin Prussian silver jam spoon and pate knife set that sold for $11.70 at auction: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-jam-spoon-lage-butter-pate-465666388

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora