LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a set. Male & Female Yoruba Edan-Ogboni

Customer Question

Hello I have a set. Male & Female Yoruba Edan-Ogboni Sculptured Fertility Emblems Their about 5 inches high with the spike on the bottom There is supposed to be a chain between the 2 of them Do you know what they are worth. I have pictures Thank you so much Howard ******** ***-***-****

Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. These are a great set of figures. they are sand cast bronze with great patina for the age. The age I say is 1830-1890s era. They have the spike you state and the chain is missing correct. The value for this pair is $900.00 for resell. If you are looking to insure the pair the value for insurance purposes is 1500.00

They are major symbolic objects of power among the Yoruba People, and are worn at official ceremonies by elders, members of the revered and exclusive Ogboni Society, who act as judges and counselors for the village or nation.

They are worn suspended from the neck while performing solemn duties. The figures represent the survival of the Yoruba People, being symbols of balance between male and female and of the future through procreation. Since bronze resists rust, bronze Edan figures represent the soul's immortality and the Earthly survival of the Yoruba nation.The Yoruba People are themselves survivors, and maintain a strong presence in the modern nations of Nigeria, Togo and Benin. Their culture and religious beliefs have remained strong into the 21st century.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.