Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a set of 12 grapefruit spoons that look like the

Customer Question

I have a set of 12 grapefruit spoons that look like the fiddle thread pattern by ***** ***** but something about the end of the pattern by the bowl of the spoon is not quite right. Were there knock off patterns back then? I cant quite make out the hallmark on the back of the handle, but this is a silver with a gold wash. What's it worth and is it authentic?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Dvonna,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your ***** ***** grapefruit spoons.

Could you very kindly attach a photo or two and one of the mark.

The file you attached seems to be a document file with no images.

You can add as many photos as you wish, there's no extra charge for doing so.

Many thanks,

Thanks so much for the photos which have just been forwarded to me. I can see what you have, now. These are pretty grapefruit spoons in the fiddle & thread pattern, similar to those made by ***** *****, however the photo of the mark is too blurry to be able to make out who this is. The fiddle & thread pattern is quite a frequently found one and many makers included it in their pattern range, with very slight differences here and there.

Since they don't say "STERLING" or "925" on them anywhere, these are probably silverplate rather than sterling, but if you want to be sure, your local jeweler will test them for you and will be able to tell you in two minutes whether they are sterling or not.

If you can get a clearer photo, I might be able to see what this mark is, meanwhile, I'll see if I can track down the maker going another route.

Many thanks,

PS. Here are some useful tips for taking photos of marks:

• Use the strongest possible angled light you can find (not flash).
  • Select the macro function (that's the little flower icon) on your camera.
  • Rest the camera on something stable as you take the photo.
  • Take 100s and delete them as you go until you get a good one, that's the best thing about modern digital cameras: the delete button!
  • If you are using an iPhone, touch the screen where you want the image to be sharpest and it will automatically correct the focus and the lighting.