Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

A & Shafer Covered Bowl from 1901 . A covered dish or bowl 5

Customer Question

A Harris & Shafer Covered Bowl from 1901 . A covered dish or bowl 5 3/4 inches in Dia. Mint Marks 134 guessimate price..
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: was great grand mothers , in the family since 1901 it is monogrammed with grandmothers initials and year
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: on the back imprinted is the words harris and shafer ,134, Sterling and the business logo.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

A ballpark auction sale value for your Harris & Shafer covered bowl is $250 - $350 presuming is it sterling silver.

You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

For over 10 years I owned an antiques where one of the specialties was antique silver.

I do speak from experience about silver items.

Harris & Shafer, located in Washington,DC, were retailers, mostly as importers from fine European homes. The logo marks date 1880-1938.

To answer your question, I researched items marked with the Harris & Shafer logo.

I found several items that are worth considering to determine values for your sterling covered bowl.

See the following images:

All are sterling. Two were retailed by Harris & Shafer. The third is a Tiffany bowl.

One - gravy boat sold for $275 at auction.

Two - creamer and sugar (or small basket) - sold for $115 at auction.

Three - a Tiffany Bowl that is retailing for $250 - not covered but it is Tiffany, a much more sought after name in silver.

Looking at all three of these and using my experience, I was able to determine an average auction value of $200 for your sterling covered bowl.

The estimated retail price would be about $310.

If you wish to sell, these ideas might help you.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Amazon Marketplace:

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.