Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I purchased a rocking chair with upholstered back& seat &

Customer Question

I purchased a wood rocking chair with upholstered back& seat & would like to know if it is antique or of any value. I'm not very technical & can't seem to find an answer on line.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Yes, this is antique, from the 19th century or circa 1870, dating to the Victorian Era and done in the Empire style. The Victorian furniture market is a bit flat now as the design style or craze currently is Mid Century Modern. On today's market, your rocker can sell for an average high of $75 - $175. A few decades ago these could sell for $400 - $550.

You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 5 months ago.