Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a Paddington Bear cookie jar from 1987 eden company

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a Paddington Bear cookie jar from 1987 for the eden company and part of the Tuscany collection. it is in excellent condition but without a box
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: it has only really been displayed
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: nope, no scratches, chaps or discoloration
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property. If another expert should happen to get on your question after my response to you, it is your right to let them know you are working with me. If you wish to continue working with me .
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
The Paddington Bear Cookie Jar is currently valued on the retail market ( cost replacement ) for an average of 890.00 - 1150.00 with the box, ( you may have to take a little off if you do not have the box), depending on where it is for sale at. I cannot find a collectors site for the cookie jar, there is a large following of the Paddington Bear but, it seems to be mostly on Ebay. People who sell these items on Ebay are selling them very low these days, due to the economy being so low right now. Everyone is selling low in order to make a sell and make some money. I would sell this on Amazon or a site such as Rubylane or Tias. I would try to sell it first for the full price it is valued at. There are not many of these on the internet, you should be able to sell if for the valued price. If that does not work then I would think of consigning this cookie jar at an Antique Shop in order to sell it. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire . All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

There are 42 Eden Company made Paddington Bear cookie jars transparently listed as having sold at auction over the past several years. The highest price paid was $145 and the average price is $35 - $45. Realistically, if you were to sell yours, expect to garner $35 - $70. You can find all the past auction sales listed on

You can ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding buyer at your pricepoint.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.