rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

H there... I have this huge wrought iron gate and I can't

Customer Question

H there... I have this huge wrought iron gate and I can't figure out where it's from or how old it is. It was on the 1949 house we bought but no telling if it was original. Is there an identifying mark I could look for? It's 32x84 approx.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

This is an iron front door that was made in the 1960's. It was not original to the house.

The door knob style is the sign of it being from the 50's-60's time period.

The value of this door is $200 to $250.00 retail.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey! Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I know the doorknob is new - it's a retrofit that doesn't really fit the door - I could find that knob at Lowe's today. I'm interested to know how I can figure out who made it the door, where it came from, whether it came from Virginia or elsewhere or if you can tell me where to look to research it more. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to figure this out, which is why I checked in here. Is there any more you can tell me?

This door likely came from one of the many factories producing iron doors and gates in the late 60's in Charlotte, North Carolina.

That is where a lot of the iron work was being done in that area at the time. The customer probably chose it from a catalog at a place like Sears, though and not from the actual factory.

Do click the stars to accept my answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much for getting back to me! I am traveling in NYC for work through tomorrow. If nothing else occurs to me and my ADD self I'll finish this out on the LLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG train ride home. :)
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

Sure, travel safe. It is a windy one up here in southern Maine!