Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Doris. I recently inherited an antique spinning wheel with

Customer Question

Good evening, Doris. I recently inherited an antique spinning wheel with the letters J * L and 1838 stamped/engraved on it. Any thoughts as to its history and value? Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Cheryl,

I just picked up you question. Sorry for the delay.

Welcome.

Thank you for requesting me!

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question,calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within an hour.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are workingwith me if you wish.

I performed a research of early 19thC spinning wheels for you.

The initials are those of the unknown craftsman that hand made your spinning wheel.

The 1838 is the date it was made, not a pattern number as one might find on newer devices.

Yours probably had a what is referred to as a "bird cage" attached to it.

If yours does have it, then it is cut off at the top of the picture.

This style if for spinning flax.

My research of current retail prices indicates that your spinning wheel has a retail value of $600-800 depending on condition and location.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60%of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer,please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site' srating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions,requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" atthe first of the question, mostprofessionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

If you have any questions about the site, you may contact customer help at this address:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help