Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraisals
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

How can I identify the value of an antique dining room set?

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

You speak of a dining room set but I only see one piece - a china cabinet.

What are the other pieces and may I have pictures of them?

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to submit the photos now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a photo of the buffet at this time.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

I am so very sorry but I do not see pieces of a dining set in your last images but for the China cabinet.

The other pictures that showed up here were what looks like a lady's drop front desk and a pair of candlesticks.

I need a photo of the table and one of the chairs.

Also, tell me how many chairs you have.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No chairs... China cabinet, dining table, candlesticks, buffet (no picture) desk (matching but not part of dining set). Are these individual pieces of any value?
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for waiting for me. (I fell back asleep)

I will need to study and research current values for your several pieces.

I will be back as soon as I have completed that research.

Thank you again for your continuing patience!

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Since I do not have photos of the buffet and dining table, I am going to assume they are all the same late 19thC style as your china cabinet.

Individual estimated retail values in USA dollars:

China cabinet - $3300-3700

Table - $2500-3200

Buffet - $2900-3400

Your 1920s-1930s Art Deco candlesticks - $250-350

Antique Writing desk - $1200-1400

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time.

If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You do have photo of dining table... Sending again...
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, the photo of the dining table did not come through at this end before.

The estimated values are still the same $2500-3200 assuming good condition and depending on location of sale.

Kind regards,

Doris

Again,

Positive, please.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most of the other professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.