Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a doll which is over 100 years old. Not sure what it

Customer Question

I have a doll which is over 100 years old. Not sure what it is or it's value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your antique doll.

Thanks for the helpful photos.

Do her arms move or are they 'frozen' in position?

Also, how tall is she?

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Arms are moveable and she is about 5 inches tall

Great, thanks, ***** *****

Does she have an impressed number (no ink) on her back or neck?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will need to check. I am leaving for a baseball game so may I respond later

Okay, no problem. No rush this end, I'll be here whenever you're ready. Enjoy the game!

R

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No there is no stamp
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to correct size. It is a little over 2 inches tall

Okay, thanks, ***** ***** it looked a little small for five inches, thanks for confirming the measurement. And the lack of a mark is expected, too. Very few of these smaller ones had numbers.

What you have is called a "frozen Charlotte penny doll". "Frozen" because this is the name given to this design of porcelain dolls where the legs and sometimes the arms are all of apiece with the body. And also because "frozen Charlotte" refers to a particular doll, made from 1850 to the 1920s, that was based on the little girl in the American ballad "Fair Charlotte" who refused to wrap up properly for a sleigh ride because she was too vain to cover up her pretty dress and she froze to death.

They are also called "pillar dolls" or "solid chinas".

The smaller ones like yours were called "penny dolls because that's all they cost new at the time. Most were made in Germany and then later in Japan.

Originally, she may have had black or yellow painted enamel hair and facial features, though some were produced undecorated except for the lips, like yours.

The lace dress was added (these dolls were sold unclothed) but does look like it may be of the same age as the doll.

These dolls do not have a great deal of value, they were produced in monumental numbers and so are still readily available on the secondary market (auctions and on line sales such as eBay) where one like yours in its current condition would sell in the range of $15 - $25. Perhaps a little more because of the lace dress.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

Robert S.