Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

A E Mulready In the moon-light glitter I've stock asked but

Customer Question

A E Mulready In the moon-light glitter
I've for my stock asked but a penny Fading: O come aiding
Mulready paints but only one,- one of many
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

I assume this is one painting?

I need a little more information -

What is the size of your painting, not including the frame? Do not remove from the frame.

What is the medium? - oils, watercolors, etc,

What is the subject matter?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Doris the size is approx. 19x29 cm. I am no expert wether it be oil or water colour but oil I think. the subject is a small child girl standing in front of a basket on a balcony her head just reaching the ridge. A city in the background at night, she has branch in the left hand is barefoot a red ribbon in her hair
Regards John

John, thank you for the information. We will assume oils since that was what he used almost exclusively.

Augustus Edwin Mulready
"A painter of street scenes with aristocratic figures of English society as well as street urchins, vendors and children, Augustus Mulready was one of the few artists of his era to paint scenes of every day life that were not overly sentimental.

Mulready was a member of the Royal Academy and exhibited there between 1863-1880. The grandson of artist William Mulready, RA, he belonged to the Cranbrook Colony in Kent."

***** *****, Art Consultant

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of

$2185 for your rather small painting by Mulready. This assumes good condition.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Jewel size paintings by British genre painter Augustus Edwin Mulready (1844 - 1905) realistically sell for an average of $400-$450USD or 537-604AUD on today's auction market. They can be priced higher at retail, up to $1000USD (1343AUD), and of course you can ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.