Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a large polished cast brass 2 tier 16 light colonial

Customer Question

I have a large polished cast brass 2 tier 16 light colonial revival Williamsburg chandelier from the Larimer Estate, a Robert Ainsworth (architect) home built in 1931 in Altadena CA. (Monterey Colonial, brick). It is very heavy with a beautiful sea squid motif. Where would it be signed and how do I determine its worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

It would most probably be signed near the top of the central ball near the main stem or on the main stem.

Your extraordinarily beautiful cast chandelier with its extraordinary provenance would have retail venue asking price of $45,000-50,000 assuming good condition and depending on location.

Selling -

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

Be sure to specify local pick up only. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

Suggested auction houses:

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Realistically a 20th century squid form brass multi-arm Colonial Williamsburg Revival chandelier would sell for a high of $1500 - $3000 at auction on today's market. The provenance, or history of past ownership, in this case can help with sale-ability and add a jump in value locally. If this is signed, it will be stamped along the top areas of the chandelier or along an arm, however many were not signed. An original unconverted period chandelier from the 17th century can sell for tens of thousands, though originals in America were less ornate in form and generally made from pewter.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold and an actual sale value is an actual past documented sale record.

I highly recommend and encourage you to contact Keno Auctions in NYC as they specialize in American furniture and fixtures and this may be of interest to them. As well, you can garner another opinion of value for free. Here is the link to their site for you:

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.