Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a set of seven books "The Plays of Shakespear, from

Customer Question

I have a set of seven books "The Plays of William Shakespear, from the text of Johnson and Steevens. Published by C. and A Conrad & co. Philadelphia; Conrad, Lucas & Co. Baltimore; Sohervell and Conrad, Petersburg; and Bonsal, Conrad, & Co. Norfolk. 1810" the interesting thing about them is throughout the texts are random signatures of a Timothy M. Hopkins (Stanford University?) and a Hannibal Hodges or Houger? and theres a piece of music thats been written in one them. I was told these could be very valuable but to be honest have no idea where to start trying to find out anything about them. Can someone help steer me in the right direction?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Your 1810 C. and A. Conrad & Co published set of books on the works of William Shakespeare are originally from a 17 volume set. On today's market, these sell for an average of $10 per book. The provenance, or prior ownership history, being documented by the signatures inside the volumes can add to the sale-ability but not so much to overall value; most personal library books from that era had owner signatures and notes et al inside.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I did extensive research on the signatures in your book. It seems that Hannibel Hodges (1790-1851) and Rev.Mr Timothy Mead Hopkins (1800-1871) were both born in Vermont.

Mr Hodges does not appear to be remarkable; however, Timothy Mead Hopkins (1800-1871) was a famous Abolitionist. His signatures apparently appear in some historical documents.

You probably should try to have to have the Hopkins signature verified.

Signature Authentication:

It may look to be real but authentication must be done in person; ie, with signature in hand.

It is impossible to authenticate from a photo.

This business will authenticate signatures for a fee.

If the Hopkins is the Abolitionist, then your set could be quite valuable.

It would increase the value at least 10 fold to $850-1000.

Rare Book Stores:
Bauman Rare Books - www, -(###) ###-####br />Philadelpha Rare Book, etc - www, -(###) ###-####/p>

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.