Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have one Karpen antique upholstered armchair with cane

Customer Question

I have one Karpen antique upholstered armchair with cane inserts on back and sides as well as one Karpen rocking chair upholstered with cane inserts on back and sides. Would like a general idea of value as I am moving and cannot take them with me. I have done extensive research online and cannot find any chairs close to these.
Thanks for any info you can give mr.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Karpen Brothers pieces can sell quite well retail.

Your style Karpen Bros. armchair with cane inserts would have a retail asking price of $2500-4000 depending on condition and location.

Your style Karpen Bros. rocking chair would have a retail asking price of $3000-4500 again depending on condition and location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

Be sure to specify local pick up only. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

Another possible retail venue is your local Craig's List. Take cash only. Make sure a large friend is with you when you schedule potential buyers.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
Kind regards,

If you have any questions about the site, you may contact customer help at this address: