Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Have a Jennings tilt sink, it was drilled out in the bottom

Customer Question

have a George Jennings tilt sink, it was drilled out in the bottom for newer drain system
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Are you looking for a value for your sink? Do you have just the sink? No stand or vanity to go with it?

.

Thanks,
Diana

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just the sink
Expert:  Diana F. replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for getting back with me and thank you for the info.

.

Finding a relative undamaged Jennings tilt sink is a pretty uncommon thing. Jennings was a bit of a pioneer when it comes to plumbing. The design of the tilting sink was originally "introduced" around 1851 and in early patents was called the tilt-up and lipped lavatory. Based on the look of yours, it looks to date to about 1860 to 1870 or so.
.
Aside from the hole drilled in, from what I can see, it looks to be in pretty good condition. The hole will affect the value a bit, but not nearly as much as if it was cracked or damaged. It could work well as an old plug style sink with the right faucet hardware.

.

Even with the drilled hole, it should still be worth about $1000 to $1400.

.

If you're looking to sell it, you can try yourself through someplace like craigslist or a local antique shop. If you do go with someone place craigslist, make sure you meet someplace very public. There is always a risk in meeting up with someone from online. I know a lot of town's police stations allow you to use their parking lots as public meeting places.

.

If you sell online, the hardest part would be shipping. Rubylane, GoAntiques, Tias and even Etsy are all great online antique shops, but shipping will cost a fortune and many buyers aren't willing to pay that.

.
You can also try contacting some place that deals in architectural salvage and reclaiming old building materials. They often buy old material to fix up and sale, especially in areas where there are lots of renovations and restorations. Usually the oddest pieces do well.

.

I'm not sure where you are, but most states have at least a few businesses that deal in architectural salvage.

.

Selling to an architectural salvage or at an auction will likely bring less, but you do have the potential to move it faster.

Here's a few you may consider contacting:

.

One Way - King NC - Antiques &
Architectural Antique Salvage
127 Bob Rierson Street
King, North Carolina 27021
Carolyn Landreth ~(###) ###-####/p>

.
Pasadena Architectural Salvage
2600 E. Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107(###) ###-####/p>

.
Southern California Architectural Salvage
727 E. Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA. 90021(###) ###-####/p>

.
Architectural Salvage, W.D. Inc.
614 - 618 East Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202
PHONE:(###) ###-####--- FAX:(###) ###-####br />EMAIL:***@******.***

.

If you do choose to sell online, you might consider alternate shipping options like greyhound, using freight or sites like
https://www.cratersandfreighters.com which has a good reputation
or
http://www.uship.com/ .

.
If you go with someplace where you have to ship it-..you may have to lower the value a bit because many people won't pay full price + shipping.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.

.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great weekend

Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 6 months ago.

Hi.

.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need? If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you might have. If you have any technical problems, such as rating, please let me know and I can contact someone on your behalf.

.

Thanks!

~Diana