LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have an painting of a Mandarin man smoking a pipe. It is

Customer Question

I have an painting of a Mandarin man smoking a pipe. It is in oil on what look like palm leaves. The artist signature looks like "Samain", and it is 19 6/8 by 24 inches. I'd like to know it's value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. This is a oil painting done on leaves you are correct. The older man smoking an opium pipe and thinking of his life. The value is 275.00 and dates to the 1930 1940s. Very nice painting. Please let me know if I may help you further.

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

This is a well known tourist trade type of painting from Vietnam done on tobacco leaves. This dates to the 1970's and they realistically sell for an average of $100 on today's market.

There were various and numerous artisans who are unlisted who made these as a living in villages in Vietnam.

Here is a link to a brief discussion thread on Vietnamese tobacco leaf paintings for you:

https://www.artconversation.com/forum/art-discussion-general/4405-please-identify-this-chinese-looking-man-oil-painting/page2

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 5 months ago.

Hello checking int o see if I may be of further help fr you on this. It is a well done painting. If I may further assist you please let me know.

Hello if I may help you further please let me know on this painting.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.