Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an antique cracker jar that was a wedding present

Customer Question

I have an antique cracker jar that was a wedding present for my grandparents 100 years ago. It has an iridescent look similar to carnival glass, but the texture is very rough, the lid and handle have a pewter look. There are no markings on it. I would like to know it's value. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

The English call these biscuit "boxes" or biscuit 'barrels." English biscuits are tea type cookies or sweets. American "cracker" jars are a carryover from the English ones.

Such antique pieces like yours are selling at auction now for $120-160 depending on condition.

This means the retail asking price would be about $250-300 assuming good condition depending on location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

If you have any questions about the site, you may contact customer help at this address:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

You have a fine antique late 19th century biscuit jar with pewter top and handle atop an amber crackled acid etched French or Bohemian art glass base. The suggested insurance or replacement value of your family heirloom piece is $425.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora