Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a hand painted Limoges Tray. It says T & V on the

Customer Question

I have a hand painted Limoges Tray. It says T & V on the bottom and is signed by the painter L. Davis. It has heavy 14 kt. gold all around the edges and violets painted in each corner except one where there is a gold H painted. The T & V are black in color and enclosed in a black rectangle. Under the rectangle it says Limoges with France printed under the Limoges. It came with two lidded and footed violet bowls. One to hold jewelry and one to hold cotton balls as the lid has a 2 inch hole surrounded with the same gold paint. The vanity bowls come from Austria, but are painted by L. Davis. They match the tray. It looks like a vanity/boudoir set.The feet are the same 14 kt. paint as the edges of the tray and each bowls base and lid. The Austrian porcelain mark say M.Z. there is a crown under the M.Z. a butterfly under the crown and Austria printed under the butterfly. Under Austria it says Classic and the word Classic is underlined. The Austrian markings appear to be deep green. I saw an hot chocolate carafe on ebay that matches the painting on my set. They are selling it for $675.00. So, I am wondering how old is this set? What is its approx. worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

The pieces in this vanity set were originally purchased as white wares or blanks for hobbyist or home painters (generally women) to decorate. In this case, the person was someone named L. Davis who decorated the set.

The pieces stamped T&V were produced in Limoges, France by Tressemann & Vogt.

The pieces marked MZ were produced in Austria for Moritz Zdekauer.

The set dates to the turn of the 19th/20th centuries, circa 1900.

The gold is real, however there is no longer a precious metal value to it as the cost to extract the gold would exceed the melt down value of what could be extracted. Any owner can ask any price they please on any items they own, the key factor is finding a buyer at the asking price. On today's market, hobbyist hand painted vanity sets married together with pieces from various makers realistically sell at auction for $100 - $200. $675 is a legitimate asking price, though aggressive.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora