rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

What is the on my CHF plate? Looks Asian

Customer Question

What is the mark on my CHF plate? Looks Asian
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

This is a plate made by Charles Field Haviland in 1868 to 1876 based on the mark on the back.

The mark under that is the monogram for the artist that bought the piece of porcelain (or set) as blank porcelain and hand painted the design that is on the plate. This is the letters TA or AT depending how you look at it. This was a common practice back then for ladies to hand paint their own porcelain to give as gifts. These days women scrapbook, back then they painted porcelain. The artist would be a descendant if it is a family piece and unknown if this piece came to you in a more random way.There were no 'famous' hand painters that used this monogram.

A hand painted CFH porcelain plate, depending on the quality of the work, has a current value of $30 to $40.00.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.