Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I am now 81 years old. As a very small child, I remember my

Customer Question

I am now 81 years old. As a very small child, I remember my mother wearing a broach. it has an oval colored opal, surrounded by scrolled silver. The opal is about an inch long. does this item have any value? It is in pristine condition. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The broach was given to my mother as a teenager when she graduated from high school in 1926. I am sorry I do not have a picture. It was considered an antique way back then.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

To give you the most accurate value, I should have a photo of the brooch (yes, that is the correct but odd spelling).

Does the piece have any words or numbers?

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of your brooch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

On today's market, the average price for an antique opal brooch is $200 - $300. I highly recommend, in lieu of you not having photographs to post here for assessment, that you take it to a local estate jewelry shop and have it inspected in person. A reputable estate jeweler will test the metal and look at the opal under a loupe and determine its carat size for you for no charge. They may offer cash on the spot, however you would not be required to sell at that time.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold and a true sale value is an actual past documented sale record.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

While to give the best answer with up to date current value, a photo would be very helpful.

Australian opals are much sought after. On my trips there I have collected opal jewelry.

I learned that the more fire they had in them, the more valuable they are.

As a quite large 1" opal surrounded by silver scrolls, your antique opal brooch would have a retail jewelry store value of $400-600 depending on the "fire" in the opal and the location of the retail venue.

Am insurance replacement value would be $550 - 700. A gemologist can tell you the value of the stone but not the antique value of the brooch. Once the stone is appraised, then an you should consult an estate jewelry specialist.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.