Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have an old hard cover book written by Leo Tolstoi. The

Customer Question

I have an old hard cover book written by Leo Tolstoi. The title is Herr und Knecht, Publisher is Frederid Ungar Publishing Co. New York It is in German only 26 pages long Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

I researched your question before I decided to answer.

I found your hard back book, Herr und Knecht, by Leo Tolstoi, published by Frederid Ungar Publishing Co. in German has a retail asking price of $150-175 assuming average condition.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

There is no publisher by the name of Frederid Ungar, so finding a match of a Herr und Knecht title by Tolstoi published by 'Frederid Ungar' is not possible. Your 26 page version published by Frederik Ungar realistically sells for $15 - $30 on today's market.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold and an actual sale value is an actual past documented sale record.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.