Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a very old oil painting, 9" x 12" of people on the

Customer Question

I have a very old oil painting, 9" x 12" of people on the shore looking at a boat...very dark colors. Cant distinguish the artist's name/signature on bottom right. There is a sticker on the back that reads,"Windsor & Newton (Limited) Artists' Colourmen
To Her Majesty and to T.R.N. The Prince and Princess of Wales
How much might this be worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of an in-focus signature close up and the label you described on the back.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the other two photos you requested. Thanks,
Sarah

The label on the back tells us that this was painted between 1881 (when the art canvas company became limited) and 1905 (when Queen Victoria's reign ceased). The artist is a Dutch artist with the last name of van***oer that either painted in England or bought his art supplies in England and had them shipped to him/her. I have searched the three paid databases of signatures and could not find this artist using many combinations of the name. This is still a well-executed piece and I wish the signature were more clear.

This piece has a current value of $400 to $500.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

This is a very fine 'jewel size' painting done in the manner of breakthrough artist JMW Turner and likely the artist was a follower or student of his as well as Petrus van Schendel. This style is highly sought after and it exceptionally well done. On today's market, this can carry an aggressive auction estimate of $1000 - $2000 with potential to exceed the high estimate at sale.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora