Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have the following Japanese Pottery my Father brought back

Customer Question

I have the following Japanese Pottery my Father brought back from Japan at the end of World War II. I want to know if it is worth selling.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property. If another expert should happen to get on your question after my response to you, it is your right to let them know you are working with me. If you wish to continue working with me .
How many pieces are in your Satsuma China Set? I can value this for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the attached pieces

I can see two pictures but, I cannot tell what the pieces all are or how many there are in the set.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this question. I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You have a hand painted Japanese Satsuma style set with the Goddess Kannon featured. The raised areas of paint is a decorative application referred to as moriage. The gold is real, however there is no longer a precious metal melt down value as the cost to extract the gold will exceed the value of the amount extracted.

These are a bit flat on the market currently; many of these sets came home to the US with American military members and now that the "Greatist Generation" is passing, there is an influx of these on the market and supply is exceeding demand. Prices and values were also heavily impacted by the Recession in 2008 and have not yet fully recovered to sale prices prior to 2008.

On today's market, these sets sell for $75 - $200 depending on the number of pieces.

Here is a link for you to a 24 piece set that sold for $159.95:

This 20 piece set sold for $99:

If there are lithophanes at the bottom of the cups (pictures you can see when you hold cup to the light) then the sets sell for $300 - $450. Here is a set with lithophanes that sold for $355:

You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.