Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I need help determing the age and value of this set...Once

Customer Question

Hello, I need help determing the age and value of this set...Once again receved from my grandmother...
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 4 months ago.

Welcome back.

I am happy to help you.

The photo you sent of the marks on your set is blurred.

Please try this method:

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

The marks are unusual. Please tell me more about what you know about the set....when, where it was acquired, etc.

I look forward to seeing to your reples.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Doris, I hope that this pictures are better...

Much better.

Thank you.

I should return within 40 minutes.

Kind regards,

Your set is by the German firm of Wurttemergische Metallwarenfabrick ( WMF).

In 1880 a merger of two companies formed the firm of WMF.

This new company became famous for its high quality of plated silver produced by a unique electroplating (EP) process.

Its items are still much sought after today, especially its Art Nouveau ones.

The 1/0 stands for normal electroplating standard used.

The OX stands for oxidized - a process by which parts are shaded for definition.

Your set is not Art Nouveau but mid-late20thC.

My research indicates your WMF plated silver tea set has a retail vintage store value of $600-650 assuming good condition.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Your set dates to circa 1900 - 1915, not mid-late 20th century. It is done in the Secessionist or Jugendstil manner typical of that era in Germany and for WMF, or Wurttemergische Metallwarenfabrick. Secessionist or Jugendstil were concurrent to Art Nouveau, though slightly different in execution. Unfortunately the market is very flat currently for silverplate teasets, even one's by quality makers such as WMF. This set, realistically would sell for a high of $200 - $250 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!

I have seen the Tea Service by Wurttemergische Metallwarenfabrick ( WMF) mid 20thC sell on today's market for as much as $800.00, the set is a classic style that remains timeless. It has a high resale value for this fact. It can be used in many different circumstances, where a simple classic style is desired. These sets always sell well in Antique Shops, you might check with a local one for consignment.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
You can sell on Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, One Kings Lane, Ist Dibs all of which are on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )