Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Antiques - I've come across a Finnish Arabia Vase. It's a

Customer Question

Hello Antiques - I've come across a Finnish Arabia Vase. It's a small figurine of a woman adorning a flower vase. The vase is rumored to have been made between 1902-1907. There is an Arabia Mark on the bottom of the vase, but I cannot find that mark anywhere online. All the hearsay has been passed on through my family, Finnish immigrants in the 1950's. The vase would have been property of my 3x great grandmother.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your pretty vase/figurine. Thanks so much for the excellent photo.

Can you let me know how tall it is?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Robert - I'd say that it is around 10" high. The base is probably around 3" diameter.

Great, thanks for the measurement.

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

This is certainly an intriguing mark. It does not belong to the Arabia porcelain factory, because (1) there's no backstamp in their history that looks anything like this and (2) the presence of the letters A.G. which stands for Aktiengesllschaft or "Share Corporation" a designation used by companies in German speaking countries. It's similar to the Inc or Ltd (Limited Liability) designations used in the U.S. and UK respectively.

This means it's a German, Austrian or Swiss pottery. If it were Finnish it would be OY (Osakeyhtiö).

Also, the A.G. designation did not start being used by German potteries until the early 20th century.

And, stylistically, this piece belongs to the 1920s, a transition time between Art Nouveau and Art Deco when these "figural flower frogs", as they are called, were all the rage.

If you could very kindly let me have a brighter, clearer image of that mark on the base, I may be able to track down who this is.

Many thanks,