Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Please! Doris here is #10 Small oil painting circa 1965. My

Customer Question

For Doris only please!
Hey Doris here is #10
Small oil painting circa 1965. My grandmother and I purchased this at a summer art fair in Magnolia Village (District), Seattle WA in the Summer of 1965. My grandmother was reluctant, but I talked her into it. I remember telling her, at the know it all age of 5, that it reminded me of her and that it would go quite none.ly with that desert painting that she didn't like! I thought she should have it, so I tried to by it from the "nice lady Painter" with a handful of change, 1/2 roll of Life Savers and 3 pieces of bubble gum. Needless to say that wasn't quite enough, the price was $25.00. I thought that was terribly expensive and told her maybe we shouldn't because Grandfather might get mad. She mumbled something along the lines of the Wicknick actually cost a lot more. She proceeded to pay the young woman. The next day we met with the nice man at the art shop, picked out a frame, and then had iced tea and Monte Cristo sandwiches at a lovely Cafe in Pike's Place Market. Some memories never fade. . . my understanding was that the Lady Painter became fairly well know years later. She was just starting out when we bought this one. She was one of those that hid her signature with in the painting. I remember I tried to get her to sign it with a brown crayon, but she said it was already signed. I'll include a close up, but my eyes are so bad I can't read it.
Circa 1965
Scene is a mother and son walking along thru the Madronna Trees in the park along the edge of Magnolia bluff looking out across Elliot Bay ( Puget Sound) towards Alkai Point.
Oil (maybe acrylic) on grmbacher stretched canvas #9
Professionally framed
Canvas W 12" x H 9"
Frame W 15.5" x H 12.5"
Had some trouble with the pictures on this one, I am going to call it a night. Regards, Jeanette
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Jeanette,

Thank you for your trust in me.

I do not see the signature in your photos.

Is there one?

If so, what do you think it is.

Best,

Doris

"Talk" to you tomorrow. I have a personal appt late in the AM tomorrow Central Time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That one little close up but I can'take it out. And I just don't remember her name. I just remember my grand mother commenting years later something about the fact that when we bought the painting the gal was almost embarrassed about her work so she hid her signature within the work. I commented that next time she ran in to her she should ask her to resign it or sign it on the back of the stretch frame of the canvas. Grandmother said something about she was doing well enough that she wasn't spending a lot of time in Seattle, that she was only there during the summer and was spending the bulk of her time in warmer climes. In Seattle that usually means Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California or Mexico. I know that is not much help. Unfortunately there isn't anyone left alive that I know to ask. I do know that as an up and comer in the artist world in Seattle, especially living in the Magnolia District her talent would have been noted by the movers and shakers, Board members of the Seattle Fine Arts Museum. As such she would have been invited to do a little "show" at the museum. They used to invite 3 or 4 folks like that to bring 5 or 6 of there best works and the board members involved would select a certain number of those people/paintings and they then did this special exhibit that would run for a month or so. It was an event that could make an artist's career. Come to think of it a sorority sister of my mom's used to be on the board and on that committee. Let me see if she is still alive. Maybe she could get me a historic listing of those people say from 65-75? There were probably very few women on the list then. If I could also get access to the literature for the events then we could probably compare styles etc and I am pretty sure an eccentricity like hiding your signature would even be mentioned. Let me make a few phone calls and see what I can find out. Perhaps you would have your own way of figuring it out? I know they were doing this project as late as 2007-8 because a neighbor of my mom's was selected around that time to participate. Hope this helps. It may take me a while to do this Mom's sisters would all be in their early to mid 80's and I haven't been in touch with any of them for several years. Of course all of them knew grandmother there is always a good chance that one of them will remember the painting and know who the artist is.. They were all the kind of people that would. I'll get back to you. Regards, Jeanette

Jeanette,

It always best if we know.

Hopefully, it is listed artist.

I must be away early afternoon. 3 or so Central Time.

If you need me, I'll be back to help most of rest of day.

Best,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been unable to get anymore info on this one, l will let you know if I do.
Regards,
Jeanette

Glad to hear back from you tonight. You've left several of your questions open.

I will work on the box first.

My Best,

Doris

Jeanette,

Have you been able to look again at your box?

I would like to start on this question here.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.