Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

My cousin has 2 Googly dolls that are 25 inches tall with

Customer Question

My cousin has 2 Googly dolls that are 25 inches tall with watermelon smiles. Will try to send email if u provide an address, with pics.
I haven't found markings. They sound ceramic to the tap.
I am sadly not very tech savvy,so please bare with this old laddy.
Pamela *********
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the doll and the marks that you have described.
Also look on the back of her neck or shoulder for any more marks.

You can also email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

In general a tall 25" antique bisque head googly eyed, watermelon smile dolls were made by Hertel & Schwab and Kestner. On today's market, these sell for an average of $3000 - $3500 and can reach highs of $9500. If interested in selling, I highly recommend going through auction at Theriault's, a specialty antique doll auction. It is free to contact them through their website or to call. Here is the link to their site for you:

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
I am very familiar with this Googly Dolls with Water Melon Smile , having bought and sold this doll before! The doll is Armand Marseille Googly With Watermelon Smile. If the doll is in the original clothes it has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $750.00-800.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )