Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Doris, Here is another one, #8 Sculpture, could be myrtle

Customer Question

Hey Doris,
Here is another one, #8
Wood Sculpture, could be myrtle wood?Not sure if base and shell are the same wood. This was a gift between my parents sometime from 1970-1979. It appears to be a Nautilus Shell.
No date
Signature D. F.
I suspect that it was sculpted by a Mr. Ferguson. He resided in the Albany/ Corvallis area of Oregon. He was both a remarkable Painter, oils old multi-masted sailing shipsbat sea with detail seriously rivaling any of the great masters, and wood Sculptures. For the life of me, however, I can't remember his first name. If he isn't the artist then it was probably purchased either at the Gallery at Salishan, Glen Eden Beach, OR or at The Lawrence Galleries in McMinnville, OR. I have no Idea what they paid for it.
Shell H 9" x W 4" x D 6"
Base H 2.5" x W 6.5" x D 5"
Total height 12"-
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you.

I will take this in order, too.

If another "expert" tries to answer this, please feel free to tell he/she that you requested me if you wish.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't worry, I trust you. You get first crack at them all! Regards, Jeanette

Thank you!

;D

There was a Dan Ferguson living in Oregon in 2012.

When did your Mr Ferguson die?

Or how old was he you last heard?

Best,

Doris

Jeanette, Did you see my questions about Dan Ferguson?

In case you did not, here they are again -

When did your Mr Ferguson die?

Or how old was he you last heard?

Best,

Doris

Jeanette,

I would rather not start on the others until I hear back from you on this one.

I might have questions on the others and I do not want there to be confusion about which item we are talking about. I've had that happen before.

No hurry on this one. I assume you are waiting to hear back from your friends.

Best,

Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doris still trying to find out about Mr. Ferguson. No word yet we may have to drop this one and come back to it later. I don't know if it would help to persue info as a painter. My Father still has one about 3.5' x 2.5' of a 3 or4 master ocean sailing ship, probably pre1850's. He painted the rigging and sails with such detail you could swear you heard the ropes singing, the wood creaking and the snap of the sails as the wind gusted to fill the sails. His oceans/seas literally moved across the canvas they looked so real. As I recall he was just as well if not better known for his paintings. Worth a try? I will let you know if I hear any facts from back home.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I apologize for not staying in touch, been a tough week at work. To top it off we had some issues with our phone service for 3 days! I haven't forgotten. Regards, Jeanette
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Doris,
I have found out that D. F. Is not the Ferguson that was a friend of Father's, his name was Robert O. Married to Esther, I am still trying to find out about their kids. Who could be mid 50's to late 70's. Those kind of talents tend to run in families. I'll get back to you when I find more info on that family. If not related to Robert & Esther, Then I am guessing that the artist could Hale from any of the States on the Pacific Ocean, Including Alaska and Hawaii. I doubt it would be anybody from back East, Although the Lawrence Galleries routinely have art from around the world. Regards, Jeanette
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.

Obviously, work by a listed artist is more valuable.

Best, Jeanette,

Doris