Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I am of Cypriot decent and was born in South Africa. My

Customer Question

I am of Cypriot decent and was born in South Africa. My grandfather found a decorative vase and basin set in a sunken room, under ashed under the house where the goats used to stay in winter. There were a few other things he found all of which was sold but i know there was a column which they left behind.
My grandfather kept the vase and eventually passed it on to my dad who brought it with him to South Africa in 1961. Initial evaluations made him believe the set was worthless and the offers made to him were low enough to allow him to keep it out of sentimentality.
I grew up with the vase and basin set as a feature among the plants. I loved the assosiated stories of hauntings and wondered about the symbols. what did it all mean? The set passed was given to me 12 years ago and i also placed in on a shelf with the pot plants. 3 years ago I started a half hearted research project on the symbols. My research found no related things on google. Then I started looking at the symbols on the set and found nothing. I recently purchased a better computer and a better mobile phone, took pictures and asked an investigative friend to help me find out more.
I see now that the symbols are poppy capsules, the ugly men are satyrs, the strange faces are probably orangutangs or satyrs. I need an appraisal on this beautiful piece of history. Can you help me?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Can you upload photos, including overall shots and some details? Photo upload instructions are here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vase is 14 cm high and 10cm acrros and the basin us 38cm across and 14cm high.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It weighs around 22kg

Thanks. I'll take a look at this, it may take some time to research.

What is this made of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its copper

Thank you. This is a complicated piece. I am not sure that the top and base were originally married, although both have the purpose of burning incense. The poppies and satyrs are, of course, indicative of the prolific opium trade in Cyprus, but it appears that the bottom piece is more recent than the top piece.

I will continue to research, but will also open this to other appraisers for opinions.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello there just wondering if there is any news? I want to ask if il be expected to pay the new expert too or does my initial payment cover the answer completely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like an update of who is doing the appraisal npw and what their qualifications are in this field specifically. I also need to know how long I will wait for an evaluation on this. I need this information to arrange insurances and security.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been a week and i have yet to have a response from you with some clarity on what is happening with my appraisal.Please folliw up on my appraisal and send me some indication that you are helping me on this appraisal.I have heard nothing from you since the first of June. My question was certainly not answered. Yet i have been sent a survey to complete.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I apologize for the wait. You have a very unusual item and a bit out the area of normal expertise. I'm sure many of the experts have taken a look at, but are at a loss as to just what have.

.

I'll be glad to take a look and see what I might be able to find.

~Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I defintely need an answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your company and the experts are the first real evaluation ever attempted and so far i feel my answer has not been dealt with. I understand its ccomplucate but there must be some closure so that I may take the next step.What should I do from my side to help this along.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course you should take a look at it because I havent had an evaluation done yet and thats what i paid justanswer to do in the first place!
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but like I said, you have an item that isn't something that any expert can just look at it. It's not an everyday item and requires a specialty. As for the site, experts do not work for JustAnswer. We come to this site just like you. We are users that come here to help other users. We are not connected to the company or any payment you give them in any way, shape, or form.

.

It may not be possible to identify your piece or place a value on it. There may not be anyone here that can do that. It depends on being able to accurately find out what it is and where it came from. No one can ever make you guarantee that something like that can be done. Like I said, I'm willing to try but I cannot say for sure I can give you the answers looking for. All I can guarantee is that I'm willing to try.

.

~Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for explaining. Thank you for being willing to take a look. Am i expected to pay the fee again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be my next step from here? Where do i go with this heirloom. I am so out of my depth here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This piece was brought up out of a earthen room under what can be discribed as a basement shed under my grandfathers house. For the sake of security I can only say its in a mountain village in Pafos, Cyprus. There were other objects of interest in the sunken room including a pillar, a large tray, huge vats with grape pips, bones and a skull. The story goes that a priest like ghost appeared to my grandad and told him to replace the skull and he did. The column is apparently still down there. Everything else was sold off or given to a child. My father was given this set as he was leaving Cyprus for South Africa in 1961. My father estimates the set and other items were found back in the 1920's.I hope that helps you as far as its location goes.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm definitely willing. I won't make any promises, but I will definitely search every route I can think of. In the event that I can't shed some light on the mystery, I will personally put together a list of people you might contact.

.

I appreciate all the extra information you've given me. It's a big help. Thank you.

~Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!