Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I recently came into 5 plates, they appear to be old so am

Customer Question

I recently came into 5 plates, they appear to be old so am interested in seeing if they are and their worth and then how would I go about selling them?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Can you send a picture of these?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here they are
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The first one says Germany 176 on the back and very faded, the 2nd 3rd and 4th doesn't have anything that I can find on them and the last one has a crown and under the crown is a shape of a shield and inside the shield is separated into sections 1st one says B 2nd says T and 3rd says C and then something written under it, I think it says Germany

Hello
.
I only see one here, do they all look like this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I sent 4 more pics

Hello

They did not come through can you please resend them?

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

You have antique circa 1890 - 1910 porcelain decorative porcelain plates from various makers in Germany. These are rathe flat on the market now and currently sell for $20 - $40 on average. There was a time these used to sell for $100 - $200 each, however the advent of the internet, the changing tastes in decorating style (currently, mid-century modern) and global economic factors such as the Recession in 2008 have all had an affect on the value they are at currently on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the other plates?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/YonAPoFd/20160531_165020.jpg http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/LKSdIO4L/20160531_165008.jpghttp://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rW3p4y5O/20160531_164959.jpg
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Each of the 5 plates has a current high replacement value of $20 - $40 on today's market for a total of $100 - $200. If you were to sell these, realistically you may get $5 - $10 per plate on today's auction market.

~Nora

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property. If another expert should happen to get on your question after my response to you, it is your right to let them know you are working with me. If you wish to continue working with me . You also do not have to accept their answer.
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.
The First Plates date to the late 1800's to early 1900's they have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $65.00-70.00 ( I have actually seen them sell higher then this at times ) The other plates are Reticulated Cabinet Plates, they were designed to be decorative plates, used to decorate dish cabinets, early 1900's they sell for a bit more then the other plates, at $75.00-95.00 ( and sometimes higher depending on who bids on them. ) depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. Full sets of china were on the low side in value for a while there but, we are seeing them pick up lately. Antique shops across the US seem to be picking up selling them. Decorative plates like yours are also picking up in sales. These seem to sell better during the summer months then later. I have found this to be the case for most of the years I owned my Antique Shop, and did Antique China Shows.

.

These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
.
Glenda

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this question. I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda