AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Old books I have inscribed 1931 copy of mein kampf in german

Customer Question

old books
I have inscribed 1931 copy of mein kampf in german .who could appraise this?
I have 1896 german bible.
john lang ***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Would it be possible to upload a photo of the title page, one for each book? The publisher information will help me value them correctly.

Also, can I see the inscription on Mein Kampf?

Thanks.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sure, the books are in the garage. let me bring them in for pics. 15 minutes okay?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is for State Farm Ins. These books were in a fire, didn't burn, but got wet 6 months ago. They want value when they were in condition before fire which was very good. My father brought them from Germany in 1927.

No hurry!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Before I spend more $ on a live phone call, let me see what you come up with. I have lots of items to appraise for ins. claim.

Sorry, the system auto-sends that. I do NOT ask for phone calls and don't accept them! I'm happy to appraise as soon as I see photos, and any time is fine--even a day or week from now. No hurry on my end, I check in every day.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just sent you 10 pictures. Did you not receive them? I can send them again if you like. This is odd.

How did you send them? Nothing is attached to this thread.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
10 pics attached here

I got 4 photos.

I'm a little confused--this appears to be a 1931 edition of Mein Kampf, photo 837, but is signed 1927, photo 911?

In any case, the 1931 edition is typically valued at $100-$150, but water damage is killer to book values. So perhaps $50.

I didn't get the Bible photos--not sure what's up with the site today!

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just sent you pics via a different server. Strange only 4 pics came through? Im glad that you noticed that glitch between publication date and inscription date. I read that 1st ed. was 2 books, but author wanted it condensed into one for the people and made the same size as the bible. he became chancellor in 1933. Could he have pre-dated this blue version in 1927 to read 1931? Very clever. idk?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did other pics come in yet?

Nope. This is very strange...and there is nothing I can do on my end! Try Customer Support?