rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have double elephant havell audubon pelican - do you know

Customer Question

i have double elephant havell audubon brown pelican - do you know what it is worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

Please use the Add Files feature to add photos.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i dont understand this service - I recieved an email to say that I had an answer to my question - I cannot see it anywhere
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello?

It is common for the expert to need to ask you a follow up or ask for photos, I apologize if the site sent you in error a message that said your answer was ready.

Let's continue by having you use the Add Files feature to add pictures of your item and any written or impressed marks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Attached is photo

After ***** ***** Audubon (American, 1785-1851), "Brown Pelican", No. 85, Plate CCCCXXI,

from Birds of America, hand-colored engraving, Havell edition,

the elephant folio paper should be watermarked J. Whatman/ 1838, sheet size should be 25 1/2 in. x 38 in.
This would have a value of $35,000 to $40,000, one having sold for $38,000 in 2011.

If this is a printed reproduction, which there are many, it would have a value of $250.00.

I have given you both possibilities for this piece. It is hard for me to tell from one photo under glass, so it might be worth it to take it to someone that can do a physical examination of the piece.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.