rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

We found an oil painting at a yard sale with the initials

Customer Question

We found an oil painting at a yard sale with the initials M.B.N. as the signature. They are followed by the numbers "190" and I can't tell due to the frame whether there is another number after that. Any idea who the artist is?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add a pic of the back of the painting and of the signature you described.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sent the close-up of the initials again now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is the back still in the frame. Do you want me to take it out? The canvas stretched around the framed seems quite brittle.

This is a painting titled Alone and Forsaken and it is an image that was painted by many different

artists and it is a mystery who painted the very first image. Some of the artists include

1.Herman Alfred Leonard Wahlberg (1834-1906)

2. Father Arnold Janssen, or Janseen (1837-1909)

3. Heinrich Vosberg (1833-1891) – his paintings are still sold through various art auction houses.

4. ME Fitz Jatrell

5. Sartori

6. Boimare

This one signed MBN 1900 is another representation of this same image, artist unknown. It seems almost that is was a class subject at some point because these paintings are being found everywhere, same image with different signatures.

The value of this piece is $40.00 to $70.00.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.