Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a 6 " Porcelain Limoges-China vase with one handle on

Customer Question

I have a 6 " Porcelain Limoges-China vase with one handle on top. The sides flute out. The handle, fluted edges and the base is gold plate. The body of the vase is painted with white flowers with yellow centers and pink edges with green leaves. Can you tell me a value to insure.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Caron,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Limoges vase.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the entire bottom so I can see the marks, and I'll tell you all about it and give you a value.

I can work 'blind' if need be, but can provide you with a much more helpful and tighter value range once I can see the artistic merit, age and other features of the piece.

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Or just collar a passing teenager with an iPhone and they'll have photos posted here in about two minutes. R

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the pictures. If you need more just let me know.Caron Junkin

Thanks so much for the photos, I can see now exactly what you have.

It's a pretty basket-form vase adorned with briar roses and gold enamel trim, however, it's not old enough yet (it dates to the 1960s or 1970s) for it to have gained much of a premium as an antique item.

Also, it's not genuine Limoges, that is, the ceramic center in France famous for its Art Nouveau porcelain, but a Chinese copy. Genuine Limoges always should say: "Limoges France".

The mark on yours "Limoges China" is a made up name intended to sound like the thing.

Having said that, it still has a decorative value, but only a fraction of that of real French Limoges.

This example of your vase, for instance,

http://i.imgur.com/MdBijlE.jpg

sold on line for $17 which is probably about right. If you were to sell yours at auction or on line (eBay etc) it would fetch in the range of $15 - $20. It therefore has a full retail or replacement value of $40 which is what you should insure it for.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert