Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I have my great grandmother's bedroom set (circa 1850). She

Customer Question

I have my great grandmother's bedroom set (circa 1850). She lived in northern Vermont when it was purchased. It is birds eye maple with Vermont marble tops. Bed (spring box not included), dressing table, commode and 2 chairs with caning. There is a small fold down desk which is not part of the original set. I would like to know how to get it appraised. Thank you.
(it traveled with the family to northern California by covered wagon).
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the set.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You have a Victorian era vernacular set, meaning one made by a local furniture craftsmen with locally sourced materials. This was a common practice in the 1st half of the 19th century in America at that time. Victorian furniture currently is rathe flat on the sales market, so at this point an appraisal would not show an exponential rise in value. You can update it in terms of date, however it should remain at $5000 at this time.

Feel free to add photos here at anytime, there is not an additional charge to send pictures here.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property.
I found that these sets can sell for as much as $8000.00 and up on today's market. If you would like to send pictures of each piece I can get you values on each piece you have.