Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have some salad plates from WW II. On the back, it says,

Customer Question

Hi, I have some salad plates from WW II. On the back, it says, from what I can tell, "WGchonwald Germany US Zone. They are cream color, with 2 stripes of gold, outer rim and just above the eating part of the plate. The design has 4 sets of pink roses, with blue, green and mustard colored flowers, with a single flowers, alternating blue and reddish pink, between the bigger flower patterns. Any ideas?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Melissa,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your German plates.

Thanks for the photo of the mark, that's very helpful, I can see who this is.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the plate itself and I'll tell you all about them and give you a value.

How many do you have in the set?
Many thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have 12 salad plates; I believe I have more, dinner plates? Not sure. I did send you a picture of the front of the plate. There were 2 attachments to the email I sent. I will try to resend.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No offense, but, I don't see your name on the AR list of appraisers. Could you please provide some proof of your expertise/experience. Thank you.

Thanks, ***** ***** don't know why the second photo didn't appear my end the first time -sorry you had to do it twice.

Also, I'm not sure why you didn't see my name on the list, but I don't take any offense in your wanting to known my expertise, I would do the same. I specialize in decorative arts and particularly ceramics and have been a professional appraiser for more than fifteen years, and provided evaluations for nearly five thousand satisfied customers here on this site alone. I'm also the highest rated expert in JustAnswer's "Antiques" category.

So here's what I can tell you about your plates.

The china is marked for the well-regarded Bavarian tableware producer Porzellanfabrik Schönwald (located in Upper Frankonia, Bavaria) who had became a subsidiary of Porzellanfabrik Kahla in 1927.

As you rightly mentioned, the "Germany US Zone" under the mark indicates a post-WWII date. Bavaria was occupied by US forces at that time and they required that all export ware was marked as such for a period from 1946 - 1949 so this is the exact period to which your set dates.

Not a lot is known about the status of this pretty printed design, a border of scattered "Dresden flowers" between gold trim lines, other than stylistically it's of a type that was fashionable in the 1920s and 1930s. It does not seem to have a factory pattern number associated with it, nor a pattern name (few of Schönwald's patterns ever had a name). It's listed at Replacements with their own internal code, simply as SCD62.

So as for value, this china does not attract a whole lot of collector premium, I'm afraid, so if you were to sell them on the secondary market (that is on line, eg eBay, or at a local antique auction) they would fetch in the region of $70 - $120.

They therefore have a full retail value (if you were to see them for sale in an antique store, for instance) of about $250. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you would like further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You are awesome!! Thank you so much for understanding my concerns, and for letting me know about my "hand me downs." We recently had to place my mom in assisted living, so, she gave me some of her "treasures." Please have a wonderful weekend, and, again, thank you for your time. Melissa

You are so welcome, thank YOU! And best of luck getting your mom settled in.

You too have a great Memorial Day!